What would happen if we went on a search for free things that brought us happiness? I tried it, and it was easier than I imagined to find happy freebies. Plus, I ended up with more than simple tidbits of joy–I felt genuine gratitude for these gifts in my life. Here are 7 of the happy freebies I found:
1. I plucked a short stem blossom from our yard and prettied up my desk. (I’m typing right now as I’m looking at the delicate, pink petals.)
2. A thirty-minute session of weed-pulling was totally free, gave me some fresh air, and brightened up the garden.
3. Our poor mailbox got hit, crunching and splitting the post. Dear Husband pieced it back together with some free brackets leftover from a shelving project.
4. Our cherry tree has been producing flavorful, healthy fruit.
5. I borrowed a spooky library book to read when
I’m all alone and it’s late at night other people are around and it’s broad daylight.
6. The historic house across the street has two ginormous magnolia trees out front: large, 70-foot globes of sturdy, lush leaves. (I didn’t even know magnolias could get that big.) Anyway, the trees are in bloom and perfuming our stretch of the street.
7. My friends know I’m a crafter. I was thus the recipient of an old, rescued feed sack. Oh, the exciting possibilities!
And there are probably 1000 other smile-inducing freebies out there; we just have to be open enough to discover them.
Make this day even better. Consider:
- Keep your eyes open when visiting neighbors or friends. Are they tackling any DIY projects? Offer to help out. You can be their happy freebie.