This post is for the man who wants to give his sweetheart a no-fuss, easy, homemade gift for Valentine’s Day, or this post is for someone looking to give a guy a no-frills gift with no-frills wrapping. Either way, he or she will appreciate your taking the time to create something with your own hands while being mindful of the budget. It’s also a minimalist idea because it reuses, repurposes, and won’t add to clutter.
You will need:
• A small box found about the home, mine was 7X4X1 inches left over from a repair parts order.
• A multi-serving bag of chips, mine was a store brand bag of corn chips I got on sale for 99 cents.
• Duct tape, I used black, but any color will do.
• Waxed paper
• Clear tape, I used the packing tape we had on hand.
• A zipper-closing sandwich bag, mine was an inexpensive store brand we use in our lunchboxes.
• A scrap piece of white paper, the thicker the better, I used a piece of an index card.
• A red pen
• Two homemade brownies, I looked online for a brownie recipe that was meant for an 8X8 inch pan. Then I cut the recipe in half for a 4X8 inch bread loaf pan and baked it about a minute less. The idea is to have a yummy but smaller treat that won’t ruin anyone’s diet. If you truly can’t bake, grab a couple of single serve baked goods from the bakery section at the grocery store.
1. Bake brownies, cool thoroughly, cut out two brownies that will fit inside your sandwich bag in such a way as to allow the bag to fit within your box. (So they may be larger or smaller brownies depending on your bag and box size.) Eat the left over brownie chunks that wouldn’t fit in the bag, and wash the pan to hide the evidence. Seal the bag and tuck it in your box.
2. Eat the chips (or use them to top bean-based meals like we did). Then cut the bag open so the shiny inside is exposed, and wash the inside with a lot of soap to remove the oils.
3. Wrap the box using the shiny side of the chip bag and clear tape.
4. Lay out a couple of strips of duct tape on waxed paper, and cut the tape into long, narrow strips. This will be your “ribbon.”
5. Pull the duct tape off the waxed paper and wrap the tape ribbon around your box.
6. Cut the scrap paper down to tag size, write your sweetheart’s name on it with a red pen, and tape the tag on to the gift. I rolled a small piece of tape into a circle and stuck it on the back of the tag so the tape wouldn’t show.
7. Give your sweetheart the gift accompanied by a big smooch!
Make this day even better. Consider:
• The next time your sweetheart is talking, make sure you give him or her the courtesy of good eye contact. You’ll feel a stronger connection, and you’ll communicate better. Are you single? Good eye contact is also appropriate when a friend, co-worker, or grandchild is talking.